WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 10, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman (KS) Mennonite churches – Joint Youth Pastor
Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Lead Pastor
For additional part-time youth pastor openings, contact Clarence Rempel, WDC Conference Minister
News and Transitions
On Sunday, June 8, 2014, Burrton Mennonite Church in Kansas made a decision to close the church at the end of 2014 after 108 years of ministry in the Burrton community and beyond. Their small membership was affected by many funerals in the past several years. Given the advanced ages of their active membership, filling leadership roles had become increasingly difficult. The remaining members sensed too much of their reduced giving resources was needed to maintain the building thus limiting the amount available for mission. They also realized it would be difficult to support another pastor after Pastor Jim Dunn retires on December 31, 2014. It was a difficult decision, and they would appreciate your prayers as they complete their ministry this year.
Asia Frye has resigned as Youth Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS, effective August 1.
Our sympathy to Barbara Krehbiel Gehring, Co-Pastor at Manhattan (KS) Mennonite Church, upon the death of her mother, Alice E. Krehbiel-Schrag on June 3 in Moundridge, KS.
Erica Lea is serving as Supply Pastor at Houston (TX) Mennonite Church from May 25 – August 31 while Pastor Marty Troyer is on sabbatical.
Weldon Martens will complete his time as Interim Associate Pastor of Faith Formation at Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS, on June 27.
Caley Ortman will end as Interim Youth Leader at Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS this summer.
Carl Vincent has resigned as Pastor at Hanston (KS) Mennonite Church, effective this summer.
Marv Zehr is serving as Supply Pastor at Inman (KS) Mennonite Church during June, July and August while Pastor Eric Buller is on sabbatical.
1. Do you like food with your meetings? Yes? Then please register by June 20 to receive the meal plan while you are at WDC Assembly on July 4-6 in Waxahachie, TX. Go to: mennowdc.org and get ready for a great time of discerning, learning and worship
2. Leave the driving to someone else! A bus has been chartered from Newton, KS to Waxahachie, TX for the WDC Annual Assembly July 4-6. Seats are still available ($90 per seat) – call now to get yours! When they’re gone, they’re gone!
3. Church offices – P-L-E-A-S-E remember to send your completed Delegate Information Forms to the WDC office by June 20. On this form, you’ll report your current church membership, as well as delegates who will attend the Annual Assembly in Waxahachie. The Delegate Information Form was sent to all churches in early May, and is attached to this email if you have misplaced your copy (available in English and Spanish). If you prefer, you can simply email the information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is very important that WDC receives this information from EACH congregation. Thanks!
4. Western District Women in Mission will have a luncheon meeting at noon on Saturday, July 5 at the WDC Annual Assembly in Waxahachie, TX. Rosa Flores, a minister’s wife, who has ministered to many herself, who has had theological training, and who was instrumental in starting Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania in Newton, will be the speaker. Women attending should think about a time when they were called to be courageous, as we will talk in small groups after Rosa’s presentation.
5. Shine! is the premier Anabaptist faith formation tool. Discover how to teach and model weekly Spiritual Practices with children at the June 22 launch at Lorraine Ave. Mennonite Church, Wichita, 3 pm. Call or email by June 18 to register your team: 316-283-6300, email@example.com.
6. Book Sale! Featuring a little of everything, including many items from a pastor’s collection. Browse and buy, all proceeds go for new materials in the Resource Library. Open 8 – 5, WDC Offices, 2517 N. Main St. North Newton, KS
7. Camp Mennoscah Family Camp is July 26-27, contact CM at 620-297-3290 for more information.
8. Nurse and kitchen helpers needed at Camp Mennoscah. A nurse is needed July 13-19 and kitchen helpers are needed June 22-28 and July 27-Aug. 1. Contact CM at 620-297-3290 for more information.
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
Resources from Women Doing Theology Conference – Whether or not you were able to attend the recent “All You Need is Love” conference in Leesburg, VA, you will want to check out the videos, paper presentations, pictures and more from this inspiring weekend. http://www.mennoniteusa.org/publicatoins/on-the-way/all-you-need-is-love/
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620