WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
July 16, 2013
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Lead Pastor
Kingman Mennonite Church, Kingman, KS – Youth Pastor (1/2 time)
First Mennonite Church, Hutchinson, KS – Associate Pastor (1/2 time)
Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Youth/Young Adult Pastor
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Transitional Pastor (No CIF)
News and Transitions
Our condolences to Bob Beecher, Pastor of Beatrice Mennonite Church, NE, upon the death of his father, John Edward Beecher, on June 1 in Spring Hill, Florida.
Mike Bogard ended his service as Interim Associate Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Hutchinson, KS, on June 19. He begins as Supply Pastor at Hope Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS on July 30.
Bob Dalke ended as Pastor of Buhler Mennonite Church, KS, on June 30. He had served this church since 1986.
Nadine Friesen will end as Interim Associate Pastor at Hesston Mennonite Church, KS, on August 1. As a member of First Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS, Nadine’s credentials are held by Western District Conference.
Ruth Harder will end as Associate Pastor at Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS on September 8. She has been called to be the Lead Pastor at Rainbow Mennonite Church, Kansas City, KS, where she will begin on September 24.
Brian Harmon began as Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS on July 1.
Eric Massanari will end as Pastor of Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS on July 28. He begins as Chaplain at Kidron Bethel Village (retirement center) in North Newton, KS on August 26.
Todd Schlosser became Administrator at Mennonite Friendship Manor (retirement center) in South Hutchinson, KS on March 1.
Randy Smith ended his role as Transitional Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS on June 28.
Lee Suderman will be the Transitional Pastor at Buhler Mennonite Church, KS beginning in August.
1. Open wide and say ahhhhh….. by attending the Year of the Bible Launch on August 1-2 at Bethel College. Expect to be overwhelmed with diverse resources and ideas. Brochures and registration info at www.mennowdc.org. Call 316-283-6300 to see if there is still room!
2. “How We Discern, Decide and Do” presented by Terry Shue, Mennonite Church USA Leadership Development will be part of the delegate sessions at Western District Conference Assembly on August 2-3 on the campus of Bethel College, North Newton, KS. Come to learn, listen, fellowship and worship together as we are Shaped by God’s Story.
3. Attention Pastors: Please make sure your church has completed and sent in the WDC Delegate List Form (sent to you in early June, and attached to this email). This form is where you list the delegates coming from your church to the WDC Annual Assembly Aug 2-3. (Remember, churches may send 1 delegate for every 30 members or fraction thereof.) Also be sure to note your church membership number as of January 1, 2013 on this form. It will be so-o-o-o helpful to have all forms returned by July 19 (THIS FRIDAY!). If you prefer to send the information by email, that’s fine! Send it to: email@example.com. THANK YOU.
4. A Great Family Event! The annual DAY ON THE FARM will be on Saturday, August 10, beginning at 10 am at the Duerksen/Knepp farm (1582 Falcon, Hillsboro, KS). The day is free but designed to raise funds for Mennonite Agri-Urban which sponsors the event. A noon meal will be available for a donation. PASTORS: let us know if you can help serve the noon meal, call 316-283-6300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Last Chance Family Camp! We’re sending out one last invitation for families to join us July 27-28 for Family Camp. Grab a sleeping bag and a friend and come on by–be sure to let us know you’re coming! Contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com to join the fun!
6. Senior High Camp needs you! And you! And maybe you! Once again we have a joyously large group of youth that want to come to our Senior High Camp, July 28-August 2 at Camp Mennoscah. But we’re limited in the number of campers by the number of counselors that we have. We still need female counselors (seniors in college or older). We’d really like to offer everyone a place at camp. Can you help us? Contact us at 620-297-3290 to sign up for fun times with grand folks!
7. Refreshed by Rain! All of us here at Camp Mennoscah are rejoicing in the rain that we have received this week and we’re hoping the rest of you are refreshed and rejuvenated by rain, too. We have two weeks left of our summer youth camps and they are going to be a hoot! We’ve been studying about “All Things New” and it sure feels like it with this cooler weather. Thank you for your continued prayers and many kindnesses!
8. The AMBS Great Plains Extension is collaborating with Western District Conference to encourage Bible study. There is a $200 scholarship for ANY Bible course (credit/audit, online/classroom, Elkhart/North Newton) for WDC members. Enroll by July 29 in a fall semester Monday evening class on The Gospel of John taught by Jerry Truex. Call Dorothy Nickel Friesen, Interim Director, 316-283-7098, ext. 206 for information.
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
1. Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary: Church Leadership Center
Advanced Spiritual Guidance Seminar – Daniel P. Schrock – Seven Saturdays in 2013-14
This yearlong supervised program in spiritual guidance is for spiritual directors who wish to enhance their training and skills, fostering competence and maturity in the practice of spiritual direction through action and guided reflection. Get details and register
Short Course: Engaging John Howard Yoder’s Theology Today – Online, non-credit, six weeks – Gayle Gerber Koontz
Wednesday, September 11-Tuesday, October 22
This short course invites participants to discuss and evaluate some of Yoder’s writings on 1) the nature and mission of the church; and 2) nonviolence. Some attention will be given to the intersection of Yoder’s life and thought. Get details and register
Webinar: Planting Peace Churches: The Heart of God’s Shalom Strategy – Mauricio Chenlo, Jaime Lázaro, André Gingerich Stoner
Tuesday, September 10, 2:00-3:30 p.m. EDT
Shalom. That’s shorthand for what God intends for the world. Catch a vision for planting peace churches. Consider different church planting models. Hear stories of successes and challenges. Learn about initiatives within Mennonite Church USA and beyond. Get details and register
Believing Out Loud: Finding your Preaching Voice – Preaching Seminar – Allan Rudy-Froese – Tuesday-Wednesday, November 5-6 and Monday, January 27
“Wear loose-fitting clothing. This gets physical,” says Professor Allan Rudy-Froese of his upcoming Preaching Seminar. “Preaching is a physical activity where mind, body, voice, and passion are engaged, yet often the preacher prepares the sermon seated on a chair in the silence of the church office.” By preparing for and practicing sermons out loud, students will discover much about, and gain new confidence in their preaching voices. Get details and register
See all of our Church Leadership Center events
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620