WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
January 13, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Beatrice (NE) Mennonite Church – Pastor
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman (KS) Churches – Youth Pastor
Hanston (KS) Mennonite Church – Pastor
San Antonio (TX) Mennonite Church – Pastor (CIF not yet available)
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Our sympathy to Rosie Epp and Ray Reimer, co-pastors at Zion Mennonite Church, Elbing, KS, upon the death of her mother, Susie Epp, in York, NE, on January 7.
Our sympathy to Dwight Regier, WDC Youth Ministry Network Team Leader, upon the death of his father, Edwin Regier, on January 10 in Newton, KS.
Marjorie Stucky died on December 25, 2014 in North Newton, KS. She and her husband Bill were Directors at Camp Mennoscah from 1974-84.
Lois Voran, wife of Peter Voran, retired WDC pastor and mission worker, died on December 15, 2014 in North Newton, KS.
1. Join us in saying farewell to Gilberto Flores, Associate Conference Minister, as he retires from Western District Conference at the end of January. A farewell service/faspa (light supper) will be held this coming Sunday, January 18 at 5 pm at First Mennonite Church, Newton, KS.
2. Come find out about grants available to pastors and church leaders in 2015 for leadership training and support in taking new initiatives. “Leadership for Adaptive Times,” will be held Thursday, January 29, at First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS. There will be a meeting for pastors from 3:30-6:00 PM with Thane Chastain, Kansas Leadership Center Coach, followed by supper at 6:00 PM. Registration is $10 and includes the meal. To register go to: https://mennowdc.org/missional-leadership-for-adaptive-challenges-kansas-leadership-center-scholarships-launch/. Lay leaders and WDC leaders are invited for the 7:00 PM evening meeting (registration not required for evening meeting).
3. Pastors – Prevention of Clergy Misconduct training will be held February 5, 8:15-5, at Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, 1304 N K-15 Hwy, Goessel, KS. All credentialed ministers of Western District Conference are required to attend this training every five years. All ministers new to WDC in the last 12 months are also required to attend. Presenter is Marlene Bogard, who is a certified trainer from the FaithTrust Institute. The cost is $50 and includes all training materials, lunch, snacks. Pastors may use their Continuing Education Grant money towards this event. See form at: https://mennowdc.org/grants/ . On-line registration at https://mennowdc.org/prevention-of-clergy-misconduct-training/. Registration deadline is Jan. 29.
4. SAVE THE DATE – The Mennonite Agri-Urban Banquet and annual meeting will be held Saturday, February 7, at 6 pm at Eden Mennonite Church. Everyone involved or interested in the Agri-Urban program is invited. No signup is required.
5. The WDC Music and Worship Task Force invite all children’s choirs to participate in the Children’s Choir Festival to be held on Sunday afternoon, April 26. A music packet is available for directors to peruse in the Music Resource Library at the WDC offices along with ordering information. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Upside Down, Inside Out, the Mennonite Church Canada Year B Lent At-Home booklet, 2015 is now available as a free download. This fully illustrated devotional will appeal to families with children ages 3 – 12 and includes scripture, prayer, activities, songs, and much more. Created by Elsie Rempel, this booklet is perfect for at-home, but also could be used for Sunday morning worship (children’s time) or for a special Lent emphasis for children on Wednesday nights. Go here: http://www.commonword.ca/QuickSearch?search=lent+at+home
7. Year of the Bible website: yearofthebiblenetwork.org will close February 1. Many of the documents and links will be placed on the WDC website. If you have any supplied links to this site, they will become inactive on February 1.
8. Updated Soon–The information about our 2015 camps and retreats will soon be updated on the Camp Mennoscah website (www.campmennoscah.org). It may not be soon enough for all you ancy-pancy folks, but it will be there. Soon. Sometime after now but before much later. If you need information now, give us a call or send us an email. We’re happy to help.
9. Exciting Stuff–The Camp Mennoscah catalog will be sent out somewhere around the beginning of February and we’ve got “upgrades” to our online stuff in process. Be prepared to be wowed…in an online registration sort of way, that is. The hope is to have those upgrades in place by the time that catalogs reach all our nifty campers and retreaters.
10. Welcome to Deborah and Doni! Camp Mennoscah is happy to have Deborah Dimmick join us in the office and Doni Barr helping out with custodial and maintenance. Doni has actually been helping us out for almost a year and Deborah just started at the beginning of January. Both live in Murdock. We’re thrilled to have them as part of our staff!
Mennonite Church Announcements
1. Challenge yourself and serve with Service Adventure! Invest a year to learn about God, life, and yourself, while serving others. Ages 17-20 can apply at MennoniteMission.net/Serve. Service Adventure is also looking for unit leaders. Live with young adults and mentor them while they are growing and serving in the local community.
2. A two-part service for those experiencing loss and grief is planned for 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 22 at Prairie View Chapel, 1901 E. First St., in Newton, Kansas. Winter Solace: Seeking Our Source of Light begins at 6 p.m. with an indoor labyrinth experience as participants walk their prayers to God. At 7 p.m. Prairie View Chaplain Karen Andres will lead a worship service of remembrance and hope. Admission is free. For information, phone 800-992-6292 or see Prairie View News and Events at www.prairieview.org.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620