WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
February 11, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Buhler (KS) Mennonite Church – Pastor
Hope Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS – Pastor
Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Dallas Krehbiel began February 3 as the new Youth Pastor at Kingman (KS) Mennonite Church.
Weldon and Florence Schloneger ended as Transitional Pastors on January 31 at Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS.
1. WDC Annual Assembly – July 4-6 – Lakeview Camp & Retreat Center, Waxahachie, TX. Tell us by June 3 if you have interest in riding a chartered bus from Newton, KS – call 316-283-6300 or email email@example.com or fill out online form at: https://mennowdc.org/conference-life/annual-assembly/. Costs would be $58 – $110 per person, depending on the size of bus needed.
2. WDC Annual Assembly – Resolutions must be submitted by March 3 to the WDC Executive Board, PO Box 306, North Newton KS 67114. See the resolution policy at: https://mennowdc.org/conference-life/annual-assembly/.
3. Circle of Grace curriculum teaches children and youth how to identify and maintain appopriate physical, emotional and spiritual boundaries. Acknowledging God’s presence around us at all times, setting personal limits, knowing who to trust are part of the activities. Your congregation has already received this program, and is now invited to the training from 9:15 – 11:30 am on Saturday, March 1 at the Western District Conference Center. Call 316-283-5300 to sign up by February 25. It’s free, but you may be required to eat a cinnamon roll!
4. The Buhler/Inman area historical series (“A Hopeful View – Celebrating the Past, Faithfully Embracing the Future”) for Wednesday, February 5 was postponed. On February 12 all are invited to attend the Buhler Mennonite Soup supper at the Buhler church from 5-7 p.m. The lecture by Mark Jantzen will be at 7:30 p.m. at Hoffnungsau Mennonite church. If you have questions please call 620-585-6733.
Feb. 19 – Hoffnungsau and Bethel Mennonite Churches present (Meeting at Bethel Mennonite)
Feb. 26 – Hebron and Buhler Mennonite Churches present (Meeting at Buhler Mennonite)
Mar. 5 – Joint Ash Wednesday supper and worship service (supper is part of the worship service, serving from 5:30-6:30) (Meeting at Hoffnungsau Mennonite)
Mar. 12 – Inman and Hoffnungsau Mennonite Churches present (Meeting at Inman Mennonite)
5. Mennonite Church USA no longer publishes a printed Directory, since that information is now available online (www.mennoniteusa.org/online-directory/). Annually, churches are requested to check their congregational information for accuracy. Please do this now at www.mennodata.org. You will need your user name, password and instructions that Mennonite Church USA emailed recently. Need help? Contact Beth Hunsberger (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nancy Funk (email@example.com).
6. As the Camp Mennoscah Association plans for the future the board of directors is pleased to announce that we are adding a staff position to join our dedicated, experienced staff: camp director Olivia Bartel and maintenance coordinator, Gardell Stucky. Our new position of executive director will focus on advancement while Olivia continues to work and live on camp grounds directing the programs and retreats that are such an important part of our mission and vision. Our goal is to develop a team to share in the many responsibilities and to fulfill our vision. The board affirms that adding an executive director to our staff will help us better achieve our vision of being a place where people of all ages come to renew themselves, their relationships and their connection to God. For more information about the executive director position send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
1. New Date! “Managing Differences in Faith Communities”, a one-hour credit course from AMBS, taught at KIPCOR, will be held May 8-9, 8:00 – 5:00 both days–but credit registration closes Monday, February 17. Enroll online (www.ambs.edu/forms/One-course-registration) IMMEDIATELY. However, if you desire “certificate” (non-credit) you must register by May 1 with KIPCOR directly at 316-284-5217. Cost is $300 per person but costs are reduced for congregations sending more than one registration.
2. Registration remains open for a Bluffton University “Journey to Jerusalem,” led by Dr. Randall Keeler, associate professor of religion, from Dec. 26, 2014-Jan. 7, 2015. Anyone interested in the trip should contact Julia Szabo in the Bluffton alumni office at 419-358-3245 or email@example.com. More information is available online at www.bluffton.edu/journey.
3. Upcoming AMBS – Church Leadership Center webinars:
Register and learn more
Tuesday, February 11, 7:30-8:45 p.m. EST
Presenter: Rachel Miller Jacobs
Participants will be introduced to the lectionary scriptures for the season, reflect on the theological grounding for the Lent theme (“Encountering God: What Have We Witnessed?”) and explore how to use and adapt the worship resources published in Leader magazine. Register by February 6
Jubilee for Today
Register and learn more
Thursday, March 6, 10-11:30 a.m.
Presenter: Kim Tan
Dr. Tan, a biochemist, venture capitalist and itinerant Bible teacher, will talk about the implications of the “Jubilee Gospel” for his impressive business pursuits. He will share how Jubilee principles guide his business ethics through socially responsible and environmentally sustainable development efforts around the world. Register by March 2
4. The Board of Directors of Everence is seeking a President and Chief Executive Officer to lead the faith-based financial services organization that offers investments, insurance, banking and charitable services. Please send a cover letter and resume by March 15, to Kirk Stiffney at firstname.lastname@example.org or MHS, 1112 N. Main St., Goshen, IN 46528. Everence is an equal opportunity employer that offers competitive compensation. For more information, visit everence.com/careers.
5. Hesston College and Ted & Co. present “Didn’t You Get My Letter? Musings from the Apostle Paul,” at 7:30 pm on Saturday, February 22 at Hesston Mennonite Church on the Hesston College campus. Tickets are $10 (adults) and $5 (students) with advance purchase through the Hesston College Bookstore at 620-327-8105 or at the door. The event is in conjunction with Hesston’s Anabaptist Vision and Discipleship Conference Reading the Bible in an Instagram World” and Mennonite Church USA Year of the Bible.
6. Summer is just around the corner! Calling all young adults (ages 14-20)! Join Youth Venture this summer to serve and learn with Mennonite youth from 8+ countries in Ft. Myers, Florida and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. MennoniteMission.net/Serve
7. The International Guest House in Washington, D.C. needs volunteer staff (1 month to 1 year) for the ministry of hospitality. The guest house, owned by Allegheny Mennonite Conference, provides a “home away from home” for international and US travelers. Priority need for short term volunteers March – August. One year volunteer positions are available beginning March and August 2014. All volunteers receive room and board. One year volunteers receive a stipend. Duties include baking, cleaning, laundry, maintenance, hosting breakfast & tea, and welcoming guests; sightseeing in free time. Contact: International Guest House email@example.com (202)726-5808
8. Two Sided Story – a documentary film about 27 Palestinians & Israelis on a unique journey toward reconciliation, will be shown February 16 at 3:30 pm. Free and open to the public, it is being presented by the Kansas Institute for Peace & Conflict Resolution (KIPCOR) at the Krehbiel Auditorium, Bethel College, North Newton, KS. See www.kipcor.org or call 316-284-5217 for more information.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620