WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
August 13, 2013
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Interim Associate Pastor of Christian Formation (no CIF)
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Lead Pastor
Kingman Mennonite Church, KS – Youth Pastor (1/2 time)
News and Transitions
Rob Burdette will begin as the Transitional Pastor at Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS in September.
Eric Massanari ended as Pastor at Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS, on July 28. He will become the Chaplain at Kidron Bethel Retirement Community in North Newton, KS.
Byron Pellecer has been called to plant a Hispanic congregation in Wichita, KS.
Debbie Schmidt ended her service on August 2 as Chaplain at Kidron Bethel Retirement Community in North Newton, KS.
Luann Yutzy ended as Interim Associate Pastor at Eden Mennonite Church in Moundridge, KS, on July 28.
1. Presentations given by Loren Johns and Terry Shue at the WDC Annual Assembly Aug 2-3, are available on the WDC website: https://mennowdc.org/
2. Year of the Bible is up and running! The best place for on-going resourcing is: www.yearofthebiblenetwork.org For weekly updates and new postings, join the Facebook group: year of the bible network. Plus – this is where you will see dozens of photos from the launch.
3. What is Bible Storying? Not tough to explain or learn – in fact it will come naturally to most of us. Michael Novelli (creator and author) will lead us in this imaginative way to engage the scriptures via storytelling, creative reflection and lively dialogue. Sunday, Sept. 15, 3 – 6:30 pm. Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS. You MUST pre-register by calling Western District Conference, 316-283-6300 by Sept. 10. $10 each or $25 bring a team. Includes pizza!
4. Eleven 12 Scriptures Project “boards” (measuring 3’x4′) are available for congregations to loan. Easy to hang. Contact WDC at 316-283-6300, firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Calling all choir directors! You are invited to a Director’s Roundtable on Saturday, September 14, 9:00-11:00 am at the WDC offices. Come to share ideas, joys, and challenges and be encouraged in spirit and nourished in body (Mojo’s coffee and scones). Questions? Email email@example.com or call Kay Schroeder at 316-217-1272. Sponsored by the WDC Music & Worship Task Force.
6. Volunteers needed! Camp Mennoscah is looking for folks who can tape and mud our newly sheet-rocked walls at the Bluestem house. We can often offer a simple meal and pop break, but need advance notice. We need to have the Bluestem house ready to go by October and we won’t be able to do this without your help! Give us a call at 620-297-3290 to sign up and share your skills!
7. Three Things–September makes the Camp Mennoscah staff think of many things, but three of the most important things are Women and Girls Retreat (Sept. 6-8), the Annual Meeting (Sept. 22nd), and Work & Play Camp! Work & Play Camp is September 15-18 and is for all ages. Come for the full camp or just for a day or two–we need your help with the multitude of projects we have going on. The brochure for Work & Play Camp will soon be available–put the dates on your calendar!
8. Newness Abounds! Camp Mennoscah’s Mental Health Spiritual Retreat is September 1-2. We’ll be discovering new ways to look at ourselves and having gobs of fun in the process. You just can’t pass up a hayrack ride, swimming, worship & music, and great companionship! Call us at 620-297-3290 for a brochure or find it online at www.campmennoscah.org in the Retreats section. Registrations will be accepted until the retreat is full. Let us know soon so we can get you registered!
9. 2014 is the Year! Camp Mennoscah has weekends (and weekdays) available for you and your family (or other group) to come out and spend some time relaxing on the prairie. In fact, most weekends in July 2014 are open! Plan now and don’t miss out on the fun times in the river or pool! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 620-297-3290. We’ll see you next summer!
Mennonite ChurchUSA Announcements
News from From Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary – Church Leadership Center:
Friday, September 20
Rebecca Slough, Rosanna McFadden, Rachel Miller Jacobs, Allan Rudy-Froese
Using the Mennonite Church Advent theme, “O the Mystery of God’s Dwelling,” this planner introduces lectionary-based resources for the season. The day will open ideas and opportunities for scripture presentations, children’s time, prayer, music and visual elements. Worship planners and leaders will find this a helpful day for experiencing the possibilities and faith formation potential of this season. Get details and register by September 6
Pastoral Care Case Colloquy
Facilitator: Daniel Schipani
Thursdays, 3-5 p.m., Sept. 12, Oct. 10, Oct. 24, Nov. 14, Feb. 6, Mar. 6, Mar. 27, Apr.24
Pastoral caregivers are invited to participate in this monthly colloquy at AMBS. The Colloquy offers a collegial, safe, and supportive space for pastoral ministers and pastoral care students to consider ongoing challenges in pastoral care and to receive helpful orientation. Participants will submit brief case studies for the group’s consideration. Sign up for one or both semesters. Get details and register by September 1
Short Course: Engaging John Howard Yoder’s Theology Today
Online, non-credit, six weeks
Gayle Gerber Koontz
September 11-October 22, 2013
This short course invites participants to discuss and evaluate some of Yoder’s writings on 1) the nature and mission of the church; and 2) nonviolence. Some attention will be given to the intersection of Yoder’s life and thought. Get details and register by August 23
Webinar: Planting Peace Churches: The Heart of God’s Shalom Strategy
Mauricio Chenlo, Jaime Lázaro, André Gingerich Stoner
Tuesday, September 10, 2:00-3:30 p.m. EDT
Shalom. That’s shorthand for what God intends for the world. Catch a vision for planting peace churches. Consider different church planting models. Hear stories of successes and challenges. Learn about initiatives within Mennonite Church USA and beyond. Get details and register by September 5
See all of our upcoming Church Leadership Center events!
Visit our website
For more information contact
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620