WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
April 8, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Associate Pastor of Faith Formation
Buhler (KS) Mennonite Church – Pastor
Hope Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS – Pastor
Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
1. Bob Beecher (age 64), pastor at Beatrice (NE) Mennonite Church, passed away on April 7 at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Lincoln. Please pray for Cindy Beecher and the family and for the Beatrice Mennonite Church. The funeral service will be held Thursday, April 10 at 5 pm at Beatrice Mennonite Church.
2. Our sympathy to Lou Gomez, Campus Pastor at Mennonite Friendship Manor in Hutchinson, KS, upon the death of his father, Lou Gomez Sr in Newton, KS on April 1.
3. Our sympathy to June Thomsen, retired pastor, on the death of her father Reuben Emerson on March 27 in Pittsburg, PA.
1. The WDC Annual Assembly will be July 4-6 in Waxahachie, TX. Information and registration materials will be available in early May. Please let us know by June 3 if you are interested in riding a chartered bus from Newton, KS to Waxahachie, TX. Go to: https://mennowdc.org/conference-life/annual-assembly/, and fill out the online form, or simply reply to this email.
2. Next Year of the Bible Event: A webinar will be hosted at the AMBS-Great Plains classroom (2500 Place, North Newton) on Wednesday, April 30 from 1:00 – 2:30 pm. The topic is “Understanding Anabaptist Approaches to Scripture: What’s Different and Why?” with Loren Johns, Professor of New Testament at AMBS-Elkhart. No pre-registration required but a fee of $25 must be paid in cash or check to “AMBS-GP”, memo line “Webinar – Scripture” at webinar. Simply show up, listen, and join others in a follow-up discussion. Contact Marlene Bogard (email@example.com or 316-283-6300) for information.
3. Pastors! Though the early registration deadline has passed, you can still register for the Pastor, Spouse & Family Retreat, to be held on April 25-27 at Camp Mennoscah. See https://mennowdc.org/pastor-spouse-retreat/ for more information.
4. Churches: please put this announcement in your bulletin or newsletter: Free weekly email subscriptions available for WDC communication pieces: 1) WDC Seeds announces what’s new and good in Western District Conference ministries and congregations. 2) WDC Sprouts has articles from staff and information about Western District Conference and Mennonite Church USA events. To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Retirees’ Relaxation Retreat, April 21-23 at Camp Mennoscah–Retirees of all ages and busyness are welcome to join us for lots of fellowship and coffee breaks, sessions on the theme of Little Drops of Water, Little Grains of Sand, and time in God’s creation. Registrations will be accepted until full. Contact 620-297-3290 for more information.
6. Camp Mennoscah is looking for kitchen staff for many of our summer youth camps. No great skill is needed, just the ability to follow directions and a joy of working with others. Camper discounts are offered for parents working in the kitchen. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com to join in the fun!
7. Tabor Mennonite Church is offering to donate 100 metal folding chairs to any church, church plant, non-profit organization, etc. that could use them. Call or email: 620-367-2318, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
1. Sunday, April 27 has been named IBA Sunday by IBA tutors. Your congregation is invited to join in a church-wide fundraising effort for Instituto Bíblico Anabautista (Anabaptist Biblical Institute) the last weekend of April. By joining in you will be supporting leadership education for Hispanic Mennonites. You may also take this opportunity to become an annual IBA sponsor. Churches and small groups are encouraged to find creative ways to raise monies for IBA. Some possible activities might be a garage sale, a bake sale, a fund-raiser meal, a special offering or another idea that fits your small group or congregation. Every gift helps. Tuition covers less than a third of the actual cost of providing Hispanic Pastoral and Leadership Education for more than 300 students every year. IBA has been blessed by many supportive congregations and individual gifts this year and wants to express its thanks. Give online at MennoniteEducation.org
2. Bridge the GAP between high school and college! Serve and learn for a year in Anabaptist communities through DOOR Dwell, Mennonite Voluntary Service, Radical Journey, and Service Adventure. Info and applications at MennoniteMission.net/Serve.
3. Upcoming events at Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Elkhart, IN:
Seminary Preview Day
May 24, 2:30 p.m.
May to August
4. Kansas Mennonite Men’s Chorus will be in concert at Central Community Church 6100 West Maple St., Wichita, KS Sunday, April 27, 7:00 p.m. They will also be in concert at Memorial Hall on the campus of Bethel College in N. Newton, KS on Sunday, May 4, 7:00 p.m. The third concert will be at Presser Hall on the campus of Bethany College in Lindsborg KS on Sunday, June 8, 4:30 p.m. in a joint concert with Kansas City Metro Men’s Chorus.
5. Mennonite Church Canada is inviting all members of Mennonite Church USA to attend their summer assembly, from July 3-6 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If you’re interested in learning more about this worshipful event, visit home.mennonitechurch.ca/events/Winnipeg2014.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620