WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
April 22, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
by Phyllis Regier, WDC Business Manager
The combination of the generosity of our churches and individual supporters and the careful use of the resources by our staff resulted in another successful financial year at Western District. Although we did not reach our budget goals for the 2013 year, our income exceeded our expenses. We were able to transfer less from the Bequest Fund and also to set aside some money for church planting for the 2015 budget. This was important because funds for church planting which were coming from the Vision 2012 campaign will run out with the 2014 year budget. Your continued support will ensure Western District’s mission to support pastors, resource congregations and network church planting partnerships in our conference. Thank you.
Below are several links to stewardship resources:
1. Plan now to attend WDC Assembly on July 4-6, in Waxahachie Texas. Fellowship, Discernment, Tag-Team preaching and celebration of Year of the Bible. Mark your calendars! Registration info available May 6. Want to ride a chartered bus from Newton, KS to Waxahachie, TX? Let us know by June 3, when it will be determined if there is enough interest to charter a bus. Go to: https://mennowdc.org/conference-life/annual-assembly/, and fill out the online form, or simply reply to this email.
2. Shine Launch! Find out about the new faith formation curriculum for preschool through grade 8 by attending an interactive learning experience on Sunday June 22 at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church 3-6 pm.
3. The next “Year of the Bible” event: A webinar will be hosted at the AMBS-Great Plains classroom (2500 Place, North Newton) on Wednesday, April 30 from 1:00-2:30 pm. The topic is “Understanding Anabaptist Approaches to Scripture: What’s Different and Why?” with Loren Johns, Professor of New Testament at AMBS-Elkhart. No pre-registration required but a fee of $25 must be paid in cash or check to “AMBS-GP”, memo line “Webinar – Scripture” at webinar. Simply show up, listen, and join others in a follow-up discussion. Contact Marlene Bogard (firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-283-6300) for information.
4. Stop hiding behind that elegantly decorated cake! We may not need your decorating expertise at Camp Mennoscah this summer, but we do need your ability to differentiate between a carrot and a potato. If you have problems with that, don’t worry! A head cook is on hand for all your cooking questions. Kitchen volunteers needed for June 8-14, June 15-19, June 22-28, and our dashing senior high camp, July 27-August 1. Call us at 620-297-3290. Parents can receive a camper discount plus a free camp tee shirt!
5. Summer youth camps are just around the corner, folks! Find your Camp Mennoscah registration form online at www.campmennoscah.org and then make your payment online, too! (Forms still need to be sent in the mail, but how much easier without having to mess with a check!) Scholarships are available. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290.
MC USA Announcements
1. Prayers for Mennonite Church USA at AMBS-Great Plains. On Fridays, beginning April 25 through May 30, from 12:00-12:30 pm, all are invited to prayers for Mennonite Church USA and church leaders. Meet at the AMBS-Great Plains Classroom at the 2500 Place building in North Newton. The prayer time, led by Peter Goerzen, will follow the guide developed by AMBS professor David Miller, with praise, confession, and intercession based on Scripture.
2. Watch AMBS lecture by Lois Barrett, PhD. Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary invites you to watch live-streaming of a special lecture by Lois Barrett, professor and director of AMBS-Great Plains for 11 years. The lecture will honor Dr. Barrett on advancement to full professor at AMBS and give her an opportunity to share recent scholarly study. In “Beyond beliefs and practices” she will examine the ways of discerning and knowing that help the church define itself. Join in by watching on Friday, May 2, beginning at 10:45 a.m. (Central time): www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llwchux5dMM
3. Multi-Staff Congregation Leader’s Summit: Nov. 10-12 at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, PA. Large congregations with multiple pastoral staff represent both opportunities and challenges in our Anabaptist understanding of church life. Join us to learn together how to navigate this journey. This event is planned by Mennonite Church USA and Everence to resource and network congregations. Learnings will come from John Stahl-Wert, Executive Board staff and peers. Fee: $149 (includes room/board). Email Beth to RSVP for your team: BethH@MennoniteUSA.org.
4. DOOR San Antonio is again investing in local youth and young adults in San Antonio through our Discern program. With this program we hire youth and young adults for the summer to help lead the week-long service/learning teams that come to San Antonio through the DOOR program. These individuals are able to develop leadership skills by guiding groups to different non-profit agencies around the city, communicating the strengths of their city, and leading reflection and devotional times. It costs around $2,000 to hire a Discern participant for the summer. Would you as an individual or as a congregation be willing to help make it possible to invest in local youth and young adults in San Antonio? Please contact Danielle Miller, DOOR San Antonio city director, at 210-534-2064 or via email at Danielle@DoorNetwork.org for additional information.
5. Attached are the prayer requests from the member schools of Mennonite Schools Council, and the colleges, universities, seminaries and educational programs of Mennonite Church USA for May. MEA also posts these prayer requests on its website. The prayer request of the day is displayed on our home page and the document is available at www.MennoniteEducation.org/PRAYERS.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620