WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
November 10, 2020
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
We invite your continuing support for WDC! Contributions may be made HERE.
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
First Mennonite Church, Beatrice NE – Pastor
Turpin Mennonite Church, Turpin, OK – Pastor
News and Transitions
Phil Schmidt, Pastor at Tabor Mennonite Church, Newton KS, has resigned effective February 14, 2021.
- Associate Conference Minister transition: WDC announces that Sandra Montes Martinez has accepted a call to serve as WDC Associate Conference Minister based in Texas. She will begin in this role half-time on December 1, 2020 and move to full time on February 1, 2021. Sandra’s appointment follows consideration of multiple candidates by a Search Advisory Committee composed of representatives from the WDC Executive Board, Ministerial Leadership Commission, Church Planting Commission and Staff Relations Committee.
Sandra brings a wide range of church and ministry-related experience, passion for missional church leadership in an Anabaptist/Mennonite context, bilingual and cross-cultural competency, pastoral and organizational skills, and strong relationships within Western District Conference and Mennonite Church USA. She has attended Seminario Anabautista Menonita in Caracas, Venezuela; Los Angeles Mission College in Sylmar, California; and Instituto Bíblico Anabautista (IBA) and Seminario Bíblico Anabautista Hispano (SeBAH), programs of Mennonite Education Agency.
Sandra has formerly been serving as a credentialed pastor at Iglesia Cristiana Menonita Monte Horeb in Dallas, TX; Administrative Assistant for WDC in Texas; and Executive Director for Iglesia Menonita Hispana (IMH), a constituency group of Mennonite Church USA. She plans to continue giving leadership to Academia Liderazgo Misional Anabautista (ALMA), a missional leadership initiative of IMH.
We are excited to welcome Sandra to this new role of Associate Conference Minister in WDC! A formal installation for Sandra will be planned at a later date.
Lee Lever will conclude his role as WDC’s Interim Conference Ministry Liaison for Texas on November 30, 2020.
WDC anuncia que Sandra Montes Martinez ha aceptado el llamado para servir como Ministra Asociada de Conferencia de WDC con sede en Texas. Ella comenzará en este rol trabajando un medio tiempo a partir del 1 de diciembre del 2020 y pasará a tiempo completo en febrero. 1,2021. El nombramiento de Sandra sigue a las entrevistas de varios candidatos por parte de un Comité Asesor de Búsqueda compuesto por representantes de la Junta Ejecutiva de WDC, la Comisión de Liderazgo Ministerial, la Comisión de Plantación de Iglesias y el Comité de Relaciones con el Personal de WDC.
Sandra aporta una amplia gama de experiencia relacionada con la iglesia y el ministerio, pasión por el liderazgo misional de la iglesia en un contexto Anabautista / Menonita, competencia bilingüe e intercultural, habilidades pastorales y organizativas y relaciones sólidas dentro de Western District Conference y la Iglesia Menonita USA. Ella ha asistido al Seminario Anabautista Menonita en Caracas, Venezuela; Los Angeles Mission College en Sylmar, California; al Instituto Bíblico Anabautista (IBA) y al Seminario Bíblico Anabautista Hispano (SeBAH), programas parte de la Agencia Menonita de Educación MEA.
Ella, se ha desempeñado como pastora acreditada en Iglesia Cristiana Menonita Monte Horeb en Dallas, TX; Asistente Administrativa para WDC in Texas; y Directora Ejecutiva de la Iglesia Menonita Hispana (IMH), un grupo constituyente de la Iglesia Menonita USA. Sandra planea seguir dando liderazgo a la Academia Liderazgo Misional Anabautista (ALMA), programa desarrollado por IMH.
¡Estamos emocionados de darle la bienvenida a Sandra a este nuevo rol de Ministra Asociada de la Conferencia en WDC! Se planificará una instalación formal para Sandra en una fecha posterior.
Lee Lever concluirá su función como enlace interino del Ministerio de la Conferencia de WDC para Texas en noviembre.
- Join this year’s final WDC Leadership Lunch Conversation on November 19 at 12:00 noon. Each month a Kansas Leadership Center leadership competency is presented. This time the conversation will focus on “speaking to loss”. Anyone is welcome. Email firstname.lastname@example.org a Zoom link to join the conversation.
- On November 22 at 4 pm, Rainbow Mennonite Church of Kansas City, KS, will host an ordination service in honor of Roseann Penner Kaufman, Minister of Music and Worship. Please click here for how to participate, including sending well wishes which will be sewed into an ordination stole for Rosi.
- The Tabor Mennonite Men (Newton KS) would like to extend a big THANK YOU to all who came and donated to our annual chicken barbeque. It was a big success, raising approximately 40% more than last year. We were indeed humbled, considering the Covid circumstances.
- Because during COVID-19 congregational singing has been discouraged, Southern Hills Mennonite, Topeka, KS has creatively come up with an alternative: tone chimes. Two groups of four persons have begun to rehearse playing tone chimes which the congregation had purchased recently. For those who miss congregational singing, playing the tone chimes adds a dimension of music. Those on church council and Pastor Gabriel Pennington are supportive of the option. Congregants look forward to hearing the chimes as we celebrate and worship our God.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Camp Mennoscah is a wonderful place for family gatherings of whatever size! A variety of facilities fit any number of family groupings. Or maybe you only need a space during the day for walking the trails or playing disc golf. There is plenty of outdoor space! Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com reserve! You are welcome here!
- Looking for your next opportunity to come to Camp Mennoscah? The Christmas Gathering is tentatively being planned as an outdoor event on Saturday, December 12 at 2:30pm. Details forthcoming.
Mennonite church announcements
- Service Adventure is accepting applications for the 2021-2022 service term! Grow in leadership and faith as you spend a year serving and living in community with others your age and with unit leaders. Visit MennoniteMission.net/ServiceAdventureto learn more!
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620