WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
July 9, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania, Newton, KS – Pastor
Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS – Pastoral Team
Southern Hills Mennonite Church, Topeka, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Antonio Caceros resigned effective May 20 as church planter at Iglesia Cristiana Camino Nuevo in Dallas, TX, due to health concerns.
Iglesia Cristiana Camino Nuevo, WDC church plant in Dallas, TX closed effective June 5.
Mike and Karen Isaac became Interim Pastors on June 1 at Turpin (OK) Mennonite Church.
Walter Neufeld, retired pastor, passed away on July 7 in North Newton, KS.
- Celebrate the lives and stories of women in ministry at Western District Conference Annual Assembly: We Are Witnesses!, July 26-27 at Bethel College in North Newton, KS. There will be a reception to honor our pioneers, WDC’s earliest ordained women, where registrants can join for the celebration. For more information, go to http://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2019annualAssembly.
- WDC Ministers: You are invited to register for the Ministers’ Afternoon Aparton Friday, July 26, 1-5 pm (prior to WDC Annual Assembly), in the Cafeteria of Bethel College, 300 East 27th Street, North Newton, KS. To register, go to http://mennowdc.org/wdc-ministers-afternoon-apart/. Registration of $25 per person payable to WDC includes mid-afternoon snack and drinks. Spanish/English interpretation provided. Life-Giving Missional Church Leadership is the theme of this resourcing event sponsored by the WDC Ministerial Leadership Commission. Facilitators will be Jessica Schrock-Ringenberg, director of the new Center for Anabaptist Leadership and Learning ministry program at Hesston College, and Michele Hershberger, Bible and Youth Ministry Professor at Hesston. Join Michele and Jessica on the journey of being and becoming a missional church, as they use personal stories of success and failure, and open discussions in a safe place to explore these questions: How do busy pastors have time to be missional leaders? What is the difference between “missional” and another program? What if it doesn’t fit into our church schedule? What are the hidden barriers and rewards? What are strategies and practices that can help in the process of becoming more missional? Come, learn and participate we consider these themes together.
- The Resource Library will be OPEN, Saturday, July 27during Annual Assembly from 2:30-5:30pm. Everyone is invited (whether attending assembly or not) to stop by for a scoop of ice cream and to tour the library. It’s also a great opportunity to check out the beautiful artwork on loan from WDC congregations!
- Attn: WDC Congregation offices: For the upcoming Annual Assembly, each congregation is entitled to one vote for every 30 members or fraction thereof based on your membership number as of January 1, 2019. Delegates may carry more than one vote if necessary. Please send your membership number and delegate names to firstname.lastname@example.org call 316-283-6300 by July 12. Even if no delegates will attend the Assembly, your membership number is needed for WDC records.
- Shalom Mennonite Church (Newton, KS) together with College Hill United Methodist Church and Pine Valley Christian Church (both in Wichita, KS) have organized a prayer vigil–Pause for Justice for Immigrants–on Saturday morning, July 13 at 10 am across the street from the Farmer’s Market in Old Town (835 E. 1st St. N., Wichita, KS). This event is meant to be a time of prayer for immigrants fleeing violence, poverty, and those seeking to unite with their families. It is also a time to bring awareness to the plight of our neighbors and the need for justice. Join together with many denominations seeking love and justice across borders and boundaries. To carpool from Newton, meet at Shalom Church parking lot at 9 am. Contact Debbie Schmidt with questions: 316-283-8186; email@example.com.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- More camps on the horizon! Summer Youth Camps at Camp Mennoscah are stunning and we still have some amazing camp weeks left. Campers are welcome to register for a week of faith, fun, and fellowship on the theme of Peace Works: Empowering Peacemakers. It’s an awesome time with worship, swimming, crafts, nature, and lots of friends! Register at campmennoscah.org!
- Young Adult Weekend on August 2-4! Young adults (18 and older) are invited to spend a weekend enjoying camp activities, worship, and fellowship. Attendees will share in preparing simple meals. Scholarships are available online in the registration process or contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 for information. Register at campmennoscah.org!
- Sing for Camp Mennoscah! We’re having our annual Camp Sing celebration of a stunning summer of youth camps on August 11 at Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church in Inman, KS. We’ll start with a storytime from 5:45pm – 6:05pm, followed by joyous singing at 6:30pm. After joyfully worshiping in camp songs and hymns, we’ll share in popcorn, pop and conversation. All are invited, whatever your age or skill!
- The Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah will be September 1-2. The theme for the retreat is Living Peacefully! Come support each other and enjoy fellowship, music, and worship. This retreat is for individuals affected by mental illness, including family and friends. Register online at campmennoscah.org.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.