WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
January 9, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Our condolences to Lee Lever, pastor at Austin (TX) Mennonite Church, upon the death of his wife Terri, on January 1. A memorial service will be held at 2 pm on January 27 at Austin Mennonite Church.
Jerry Truex, Teaching Minister at Mennonite Church of the Servant, Wichita, KS, resigned effective December 31, 2017.
- Western District Conference (Mennonite Church USA) seeks 3/4-time business manager: accounting experience desirable; computer and organizational skills; ability to work independently and set goals; effective communicator – team player; committed to WDC mission. See mennowdc.orgfor further information.
- WDC Year of Evangelism Kick Off: Anabaptist Witness is next weekend,January 19-20. Remember to register for this uniquely Anabaptist evangelism workshop, sponsored by WDC Resource Commission. You’ve been living out your faith for years. Now hone skills for how to share your faith and help your congregation see your neighborhood though missional eyes. Come one, come all! Register at: http://mennowdc.org/year-of-evangelism/ by this Thursday, January 11.
- Host a Comeback Churches Book Review: As part of the Year of Evangelism, WDC Resource Commission will give every English-speaking congregation in WDC a copy of Comeback Churches. (Spanish-speaking congregations will receive a different book.) Would your congregation like to host a “book review,” a conversation about this book and ideas it’s inspired for you and your church? Please let Kathy Neufeld Dunn know (email@example.com) if you’d like to host a Central Kansas conversation on April 12 in the evening with other WDC brothers and sisters.
- New at the WDC Resource Library! This year we’re subscribing to “Journal for Preachers”. Stop by to read the Lent 2018 issue.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Thank you for the numerous year-end gifts Camp Mennoscah received! It was a bounteous year of generous volunteers, donors, and campers. We can’t wait to see the great things that happen in 2018. God is good!
- 2018 Summer Staff Search! Camp Mennoscah will be traveling to some of the Mennonite colleges and universities at the beginning of February to talk with people interested in being on summer staff for the upcoming summer. We’ll be at Goshen College on Feb. 9 and Hesston, Tabor, Bethel, and McPherson on February 12-15 respectively. Want to get a head start of those applications? Go to campmennoscah.org/application! We’ll start to schedule interviews soon! It’s going to be an absolute blast of a summer!
- Hymn Sing and Dessert Auction for “Creation, Craftiness, and Cooling Off”! Camp Mennoscah invites everyone to join us from 4-6 p.m. on Sunday, February 25,at Whitestone Mennonite Church in Hesston. We’ll sing our favorite hymns, bid on delectable desserts, and hear about how, with your help, camp provides afternoon activities for campers to stay cool, be crafty, and learn about God’s creation. Funds raised will go toward the Camp Mennoscah general fund. Come and join us!
- We need your help! As we continue remodeling the Camp Mennoscah kitchen and dining hall, we need your help on several projects. These include removing and replacing the roofing, painting in the final stages, and help moving everything back into the kitchen. The first project is to remove shingles from the existing roof and make it water tight for framing. The date set for this project is SATURDAY, JANUARY 20, starting at 9:00 AM. TOOLS NEEDED ARE SHINGLE FORKS, HAMMERS, AND FLAT BARS. Bring a lunch. The next project will be approx. 2 weeks later to apply shingles on the roof for the new entrance. If you can help, please call Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3014 or Jim Yoder at 316-284-3890 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mennonite church announcements
The Leadership Development office of Mennonite Church USA is seeking applications for a denominational minister with oversight of the calling system for pastors in transition. The successful candidate will have pastoral and conference leadership experience within MC USA. We are committed to diversity among staff and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and abilities to apply. To request a copy of the job description and application form, contact HR@MennoniteUSA.org or call 316-281-4257.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117