WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
December 12, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Phyllis Regier, WDC Business Manger, has announced that she will retire on March 31, 2018. She began as an Administrative Assistant at Western District Conference in 1996 and since 2000, she has been the Business Manager.
- Year of Evangelism Kick Off: Anabaptist Witness has a host of great workshop leaders who will offer practical ideas to take home to your church and neighborhood. Here are just a few: James Krabill, Joe Sawatzky, Brad Roth, Byron Pellecer, Kathy Neufeld Dunn, and keynote speakers Heidi Roland Unruh and Marvin Lorenzana. Learn more and register at: http://mennowdc.org/year-of-evangelism/.
- Our next Leadership Lunch(bring your own sack lunch) will be on Thursday, December 21 from 12-1:30 pm at the WDC offices. Each month, we are discussing a different Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) competency and how it relates to scripture, Anabaptist theology and practice, and our own areas of ministry. This month, we will focus on “Know Your Strengths, Vulnerabilities, and Triggers”. All pastors and ministry leaders from both WDC and SCC are welcome even if you haven’t attended a KLC training or one of the previous Leadership Lunches. We hope these lunches will encourage and empower each of us to exercise more leadership for the common good in our churches and communities. If you want to join by Zoom video conference, email Nancy Funk (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 20. If you have questions, contact Kathy Neufeld Dunn (email@example.com), Rachel Siemens (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Phil Schmidt (email@example.com).
- The Upside-Down King Bible Study– Several years ago The Upside-Down King musical by Doug and Jude Krehbiel and Carol Duerksen was presented in several locations in Western District and also the Mennonite Church USA convention in Columbus, OH. Carol Duerksen has written a Bible study that continues to share Jesus’ message as found in Luke’s gospel. This online Bible study, written for high school age through adult, is a combination teacher/student package. The Upside-Down King songs are important elements in the sessions. The study is available for $10 on the Western District Conference website at: mennowdc.org/resources-for-congregations/
- Pastors:As you make plans for professional growth in 2018, consider nurturing your spiritual growth and ministry skills by attending Pastors and Leaders Week, Feb 26 – Mar 1 at Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary; or School for Leadership Training, Jan 15-17 at Eastern Mennonite Seminary. For more information and registration, see https://www.ambs.edu/lifelong-learning/pastors-and-leaders or https://www.emu.edu/seminary/slt/ If you seek financial assistance, you may apply for a pastor’s continuing education grant from Western District Conference. See http://mennowdc.org/grants/ for guidelines and application form.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- It’s a Christmas Gathering for all you Camp Mennoscah volunteers! It doesn’t matter which year you volunteered. Come, we say, come and visit us this Saturday, Dec. 16, at 2:30pm-ish in the Retreat Center and bring your families! We’ll be enjoying whatever weather we have with cookies, drinks, and great company (that’s you!). There will be a white elephant gift exchange for those interested. Stay as long or as short as you like. The time is yours to play games, walk the trails, take a careful peek at the work being done on the kitchen, or share stories. Call 620-297-3290with questions. See you soon!
- Hey, all you wannabe summer staffers! The online application form is ready for you. Go to campmennoscah.org/application/for further information. Now is a great time to fill it out! Think of it as a Christmas present to yourself. Summer staff have a summer full of opportunities to share their faith and influence youth. We’ll be recruiting at Mennonite colleges in February and will start filling positions at that time. Still pondering? Call 620-297-3290 and talk to Olivia for more details.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117