WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
August 14, 2018
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Pastor
Mennonite Church of the Servant, Wichita, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
The WDC Annual Assembly delegate body affirmed the ballot which included the following new persons and positions:
-Moderator Elect: Lois Barrett
-Secretary: June Krehbiel
-Executive Board: Willmar T. Harder, Phil Schmidt
-Church Planting Commission: John Garland, Caleb Yoder
-Gifts Discernment Committee: Alberto Parchmont
-Ministerial Leadership Commission: Peter Goerzen, Brad Roth
-Resource Commission: Melissa Atchison, Derek King
-Stewardship Commission: Pauline Buller, Marlan Ratzlaff
The WDC Annual Assembly delegate body approved the WDC 2019 budget of $575,594. Full minutes of the delegate session will soon be posted on the WDC website.
- Last chance – WDC Annual Assembly attenders! Please give your feedback about the Assembly at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6JB8V3T. The survey is open through tomorrow, August 15, and then will be closed. Thanks!
- Jennie Wintermote, Conference Resource Library Director, will have new hours starting August 27: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 2:00-3:15pm and Tuesday/Thursday 8:00-9:15am. And as always, the library is open Monday through Friday 8am-5pm; other WDC staff can assist you when Jennie is not in the library.
- The next Leadership Lunch will be on August 23 from 12-1:30 pm at the WDC office. The topic is: “Get used to uncertainty and conflict”. All are welcome to attend this conversation on Kansas Leadership Center concepts, even if you haven’t attended a KLC training. Bring your own lunch. (To join this meeting by Zoom video conference: Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/737297330, Or iPhone one-tap: US: +16468769923, 737297330# or +16699006833, 737297330#, Or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833, Meeting ID: 737 297 330
- Church office, please pass this announcement along to library committees/caretakers. Thanks! Looking for ways to stretch your library budget? Planning to attend “Church Librarian’s Day” at Faith & Life Bookstore in Newton KS on August 25? Before you order, check with the Conference Resource Library to see what we already have or are ordering. Spend your budget dollars on resources not available via the library! Questions or to see what we’re ordering email@example.com 316-283-6300
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah, Sept. 2-3! This retreat is for individuals affected by mental illness, including family members and friends. Come support each other, have fun and enjoy being at camp. Register online at campmennoscah.orgor call us at 620-297-3290 for a brochure.
- Camp Mennoscah is 70 years old! Come out to camp on Sunday, September 23, as we dedicate The Whale playground and celebrate Camp Mennoscah’s 70th Anniversary at the Annual Meeting! All are welcome to attend. Events are part of the Work & Play Camp starting on Sept. 21. Annual Meeting events begin with worship at 10am on Sunday with the Whale playground dedication at 5pm and annual meeting following. Register online at campmennoscah.orgto let us know you’re coming to celebrate with us!
- Camp Mennoscah Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats coming up soon! The Fall Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats are October 26-28 and November 2-4. Register online at campmennoscah.org!
Mennonite church announcements
- Please include in your church bulletin: Potential Giving Project: Is your Sunday School or another group in your church looking for a giving project for fall? Does your family have a tradition of giving to an organization instead of giving gifts to each other each Christmas? Prairie View, one of WDC’s Institutional Partners, has a wish list of recreation equipment They would appreciate it if you would donate cash, so they may purchase the items to “appropriate need and specifications.” Please go to www.prairieview.org. Thank you!
- Calling practitioners of creation care, scholars, food justice activists, urban gardeners, environmental justice practitioners, farmers and church members! You’re warmly invited to the fourth Rooted and Grounded: A Conferenec on Land and Christian Discipleship: September 27-29 at AMBS in Elkhart, IN. The event will weave together worship, theology, biblical study and praxis. If three or more undergraduate students register from the same college or university, their registration is free! ambs.edu/rootedandgrounded
- Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies. Develop a plan of study that matches your interests in this 27-credit-hour AMBS program, which can be done fully online or with a combination of online, hybrid and campus courses. Ideal for international church leaders, bivocational pastors and other professionals. ambs.edu/certificate
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117